Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm Alive and Well

Oh the joyful rush of Easter! As I sit here listening to the rain falling (finally!), basking in the afterglow of the Lent and Easter pilgrimage just completed again; many thoughts and images tumble around in my head.
Beginning with Ash Wednesday, a time to take a good look at our lives; then the Lenten devotionals every day to help us do that; then to Palm Sunday and Holy Week; and what a week it was and is!
At my church we had Maundy Thursday fellowship and communion during an Agape feast, on Saturday we served a free breakdast to the community, then a Sunday sunrise service, followed by a pancake breakfast (to break the fast of Lent) and finally a beautiful Easter worship service. It was exciting, surprising, exhausting and it left me ready to hit the Lazy Boy! So much effort, so much planning and preparation, so much prayer; is it all worthwhile?
Though some do ask this, even church attenders(!), my answer is a strong, decisive, definitive, emphatic: "You betcha!"
We sang this fantastic chorus more than once:
I'm forgiven, because you were forsaken
I'm accepted, you were condemned
I'm alive and well your spirit is within me
Because you died and rose again!

Amazing love how can it be
that my King should die for me?
Amazing love I know it's true
It's my joy to honor you in all I do!

That's it, right there. Forgiveness and renewal through unconditional love is what we all need to really live! And that is exactly what we are offered in the resurrection of Jesus Christ! Hallelujah, praise the Lord! God in his wondrous loving mercy makes it possible, for all who will receive the gift, to renew our lives to find joy and peace and fulfilment by giving his son to take all our sins and failure upon himself! What a mighty God we serve!

What is incredible to me is that around Easter, the church seems mostly just tired from the effoprt in doing Easter services! We tend to play down the resurrection for some reason, when it is the most excitingly vital amd essential event to happen in history since creation! This is not an event to overlook or keep to ourselves, this is an event to shout from the rooftops, or at least share it with friends, family and colleagues!

I do hope if you went to church over Easter it was inspiring, I do hope your Easter lilies bloom in your garden; but I pray that the spirit of the risen Christ will become a passion you cannot contain!

Shalom

Pastor Greg

1 comment:

LeaderCast said...

I love that song, and i enjoyed your post. thanks